Sunday, August 19, 2012

Who are you, REALLY? PART 2

Q: Supposing you have nothing, are you still somebody? Or are you then a nobody?

While viewing a documentary about the elite upper class of the USA, (Hiltons, Trumps, etc.),
I was introduced to the topic of identity and status.

A rich young man asked
"Why is it that in our country so many people first ask you 'WHAT IS YOUR JOB? WHERE DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL?' In so many other countries these questions are only asked once you actually know something about someone."

American society focuses heavily upon status which is often times associated with job titles and educational degrees and affiliations.

But how important is this, really?
Who are we, really?

If you are the owner of a Fortune 500 company, are you any better than the person who cleans your office?

If you make enough $$ to own a home, are you more important than the person who comes to your door to sell you AVON?

What is in a 
job?
title?
association?
promotion?
university name?
PhD, Dr., MD, MA, MS, BA, BS, AA, AS, etc.?
salary?
Per Diem?

IS THIS WHO YOU ARE?
Are you what you accomplish?

I have a hard time knowing when to, and when to not, divulge details about my accomplishments.
I tend to be quite a private person. So I do not enjoy even sharing educational or professional information about myself. Nor any other details for that matter. But I am working on getting better at that.

What I do like to share are goals. To me, my goals are a huge part of who I am. My ambitions are a large part of my being. My existence strongly relies on my future plans and what I am currently doing to reach those targets. I know that this is just me and my own outlook on life, for now.

Judgement from peers is unpleasant to receive. As for myself, I don't want to really get into that topic, but towards other people I have often heard of and witnessed people harshly criticizing their choices related to academics and work.

Why is it important that John Doe went to Harvard but decided to work at a pet shop on the store floor?

What difference does it make if Jane Doe cannot decide on her major and is on her third academic course path?

Does it really matter that Dr. Bobby decided to stay home and be a stay-at-home parent while his high school diploma wife is supporting the family?

Isn't happiness the key? If no one is being selfish, is it not important that they are doing what they want?

A: Do people need to do what we expect of them? What determines potential? Is potential the capacity or the input or the output?

No comments:

Post a Comment