Thursday, August 9, 2012

Motivation 2 (Sleep versus Laziness)

In addition to the conference, my schedule has flipped!

I NOW SLEEP AT NIGHT AND WAKE UP IN THE DAY!

I have been up since 6 am like a normal human! But we will see how long it lasts. It has been very difficult for me to keep a routine for about 4-5 years now since I have not needed to do that. Most of my work schedules (with the exception of 2) have been afternoon to night, or night shift. During school, after my BA program and during my MA program I did not have to wake up early but 1 quarter. There was the first quarter when I had an early course, but I lived about 20 minutes from campus counting both my commute and my parking walk.

But I always have just 1 question out of all of this:

WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE ASSUME THAT NIGHT-OWLS ARE LAZY?

For example, if you say up all night long writing and working and preparing for things, and 
you 
sleep at 6:30 am and 
wake at 10 or 11 am ...
YOU HAVE ONLY SLEPT 4.5-5 HOURS TOTAL!
But for some reason people will say WOW! You must be lazy because you sleep in everyday!

When in actuality, most people sleep twice as much!

Does THE AMOUNT OF SLEEP make a person lazy?
Or is it THE AMOUNT OF WORK that equates to laziness?

I'm not judging, but I do find it funny that people say those comments a lot.

Maybe if a person sleeps for a long time they may seem lazy, but they may also just naturally require more sleep.

We have all overslept before. But that usually happens when you NEED the sleep, right? Your body wants to catch up on all the sleep it has missed. Your body wants to recover from all the stress by adding more deep sleep. Even if it may be inconvenient for your rushed morning schedule.





No comments:

Post a Comment