Friday, August 10, 2012

Blaming the Victim PART 1

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/240578-War-On-the-Obese-aka-Blaming-the-Victim
While getting some light cardio this morning
I remembered a paper I wrote during my undergrad as a baby psychologist.

My research questions was

Do people with HIGH SOCIAL MORALS tend to BLAME THE VICTIM more than people with LOW MORALS?

I vaguely remember how I tested this.

I believe I tested morals based on a scenario involving a lost wallet or a found item.

I tested blaming the victim based on responses to the amount of fault a participant placed on a person in a scenario who got injured or hurt in some way.

I ran my very first t-test. (Basically comparing the averages of high and low moral people and the amount of fault placed on the victim).

THERE WAS NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE.

I WAS ASKING MYSELF AS I WALKED AROUND THE PARK THIS MORNING:
WHAT WAS I THINKING?
For some reason I once believed that it was a person's morals that made them blame others for their problems. Wow! That was quite narrow minded thinking on my part. But the professor let me run the experiment.

Troubles come and troubles go.
I think it is awareness of this that distinguishes those who do and those who don't blame a person for their own misfortune.

Yes, sometimes people do bring trouble upon themselves.

But who are we to judge them? We have all had ups and downs. When we think about all of our downs, we would likely not say YUP, THAT WAS ALL BECAUSE I DID THING X FOLLOWED BY THING Y, WHICH ALL RESULTED IN THING Z. There are an infinite amount of factors to consider. And sometimes everything just lines up at the right or wrong time I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment