Sunday, August 19, 2012

Profit and Charity

I HOPE THAT THE MANY THOUGHTS FROM THE BIBLE ARE NOT OFFENDING ANYONE! I am trying to stay as impartial as possible, but I have to give credit where credit is due. And for that reason I have to mention where a lot of my ideas are coming from when I write.

My daily routine is to begin most days with a reading, which is usually from the Bible or commentary writings. And other days I honestly fail at this practice, miserably.

Most days I continuously think on the topics I read about that morning.

I understand that not everyone believes in the same thing. AND THAT IS GREAT AND PERFECTLY FINE BY ME!

But I am determined to focus on UNITY and COMMON GROUND much more than our differences.

That being said...

Today I read the following:

James 4:13-17

13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil. 17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them. 

We are often put in a situation because it is where we belong. 
But then over time, as we develop, we are given the opportunity for forward movement. Possible even for upward mobility.
We are given a choice to use your blessings for helping others or for our own personal profit.

Now, is profiting wrong? No.
But is selfishness wrong? Perhaps.
When do we "pay it forward" 
and when do we bask and revel in our own abundance?
How much stuff is enough?

If we are given a gift then is it fully ours? Or is it still partially the property of the giver? What is our obligation towards blessings?

And what are blessings anyways?



No comments:

Post a Comment