Monday, December 31, 2012

Propellerhead Record 1.5 Audio Monitoring Fixed

Propellerhead Reason 4 was the first professional software I used to create music. I recorded keyboard and programmed beats.

As a guitarist I wanted something to record riffs and playbacks with as well as make rhythm tracks to practice improv to and jam with.

Propellerhead Record 1.5 was the correct software for me. When using Propellerhead Reason, I did not need to monitor much. Monitoring was automatic. The input was midi USB. Record 1.5 allowed me to adapt my electric guitar cable to a mic 1/4 adapter which plugged into my laptop's mic jack.

While this was easy enough, I was not able to hear the output as I could with Reason 4 and the keyboard. When playing a plugged in instrument, the laptop speakers ought to put out the sound that is played. This was the same with vocals, the internal mic was not transferring and outputting sound to the laptop speakers. I tried increasing the mic volume and the speaker volume. NOTHING!

The strange part was THE INTERFACE SHOWED THAT THE LIVE MUSIC OR VOCALS I WAS RECORDING WERE BEING PICKED UP! THEY WERE BEING RECORDED. I COULD PLAY BACK WHAT I HAD RECORDED. BUT I COULD NOT HEAR WHAT I WAS PLAYING WHILE I WAS PLAYING IT! I should mention I was playing electric guitar. THE PROGRAM INTERFACE SHOWED THE LEVELS CHANGING ON THE INPUT, BUT THE OUTPUT LEVELS WERE NOT CHANGING. THIS SHOWED THAT THERE WAS NO PHYSICAL OUTPUT. THE OUTPUT WAS ONLY DIGITAL. This is why I was able to replay the recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment