Friday, May 10, 2013

The Best Advice EVER...

Have focus, have discipline, and be present- 
http://htrlaunchpad.wordpress.com

... crashing in exhaustion of the entire day and dreading in exhaustion the near future,
...constant traffic, constant concentration outward, incessantly rushing about, constantly checking the time. Breathe. Gasp, rather.

As Ben toured and experienced the unfamiliar culture around him, he soon realized that the people he was surrounded with dedicated their lives to those around them:

FEEDING the poor
HEALING the sick
CLOTHING the naked
BEING available

Curious to find out where they all got their energy, and interested in their lifestyle, Ben asked a  resident villager,

"If you had any advice for me, what would it be?"

The local responded,

"Make every moment sacred."

Focus. Discipline. Being present. These terms are somewhat difficult concepts to grasp in Western culture. Especially for us city dwellers. Constant traffic, constant concentration outward, incessantly rushing, constantly checking the watch, tired by 2pm, anxious at 5pm, grumpy by 6pm! ...r-e-c-o-v-e-r... REPEAT!!!

I won't lie. I've been there, done that. And no, I do not miss it one bit!

Cell phones, smart devices, concentration, studying, focusing (again, outward), and then crashing in the exhaustion of the entire day and dreading in the exhaustion of the impending future.

How often are we actually in a moment? I know for myself, I am worried when I wake up about being on time to an appointment or to work or to class. I worry that I may get behind schedule. I worry that work may pile up AGAIN. I worry that tomorrow or next week I will have to give a presentation, and so this week I will need to focus on preparing. Not today, but later I will prepare.

Always in the future.

Always thinking one step ahead (or 4 steps). Maybe it comes from practicing chess as a kid? I doubt it.

-What time is it? And when the heck is lunch break? Oh, it's lunch now? When will I need to return to work? I don't want to be late for that! When can I leave work? How bad will traffic be? (likely the same as always). What time is dinner? I hope I can fall asleep quickly. WHAT? Is it time to wake up already?-

Making every moment sacred means taking what is NOW and focusing on doing the best in that small stretch of infinity. 

Details are important. The intent is serious yet joyful.

Silencing the phone is okay. I have had days when my phone is blowing up, and I literally cringe and feel like tossing the thing into a wall each time it goes off. Even on silent I can see the alerts. And my heart rate increases and I get tense. SORRY GUYS, but this is why I cannot be reached at times. And as I mostly contract and work for myself, I do not technically have a "work day schedule..." I can work all day and all night! Good, bad, call it what it is. A blessing.

Making each moment sacred can increase some much needed sanity in the lives of many. Some of us have trouble concentrating. I can focus extremely well. The only problem is, I am not always interested in focusing on what needs focus. Whatever has my attention is where my heart will be. Sometimes this is great. But ask my elementary school teachers what this does to a young student's back-work list.

Discipline has become a dirty work. People see discipline as rigid, and legalistic, and the word connotates "crazies" living some weird lifestyle out in a forest someplace.

Discipline really means to follow a way. A direction. A word. A teaching.

Follow. And follow directly. Exactly. To the "T." Following and copying perfectly. With great focus. In the moment. And even better, helping others in the process. Always focusing on the now and making each moment sacred, and keeping in the back of the mind the future of how this action will help another person.

Discipline of a positive spiritual nature radiates off a person.
People notice the difference in such people. They are different. They have wisdom from experience. They can relate to others in a shocking manner.
It radiates.
Like rays of the freaking sun!

www.elephantjournal.com
Ben Ralston
Read: "The Best Piece of Advice I was Ever Given" by Ben Ralston

No comments:

Post a Comment